Yamada Murasaki - "Talk to My Back" gekiga klassiker 12/7/22

Besvar
Brugeravatar
GoogaMooga
Brugerniveau 7
Brugerniveau 7

Yamada Murasaki - "Talk to My Back" gekiga klassiker 12/7/22

Indlæg af GoogaMooga »

"Garo" var Japan's bedste, vigtigste, og mest indflydelsesrige tegneserieantologi for alternativ manga og gekiga. Giganter som Tatsumi og Tsuge har vi allerede fået, takket være det førende nordamerikankse forlag for disse ting, Drawn & Quarterly, som har base i Montreal. Men der var også kvindelige tegnere, og en af de vigtigste var Yamada Murasaki. Nu præsenteres hun for første gang i engelsk oversættelse med klassikeren "Talk to My Back," der gik i "Garo" fra 1981 - 1984. I denne episke gekiga kaster Murasaki et kritisk øje på de rigide kønsroller og den hjemmegående husmoder's snærende bånd.

Billede

Talk to My Back

amazon.com:
A celebrated masterwork shimmering with vulnerability from one of alt-manga's most important female artists.

“Now that we’ve woken from the dream, what are we going to do?” Chiharu thinks to herself, rubbing her husband’s head affectionately.

Set in an apartment complex on the outskirts of Tokyo, Murasaki Yamada's Talk to My Back (1981–84) explores the fraying of Japan's suburban middle-class dreams through a woman's relationship with her two daughters as they mature and assert their independence, and with her husband, who works late and sees his wife as little more than a domestic servant.

While engaging frankly with the compromises of marriage and motherhood, Yamada remains generous with the characters who fetter her protagonist. When her husband has an affair, Chiharu feels that she, too, has broken the marital contract by straying from the template of the happy housewife. Yamada saves her harshest criticisms for society at large, particularly its false promises of eternal satisfaction within the nuclear family―as fears of having been "thrown away inside that empty vessel called the household" gnaw at Chiharu’s soul.

Yamada was the first cartoonist in Japan to use the expressive freedoms of alt-manga to address domesticity and womanhood in a realistic, critical, and sustained way. A watershed work of literary manga, Talk to My Back was serialized in the influential magazine Garo in the early 1980s, and is translated by Eisner-nominated Ryan Holmberg.
"It's a mod, mod, mod, mod world, luv!" -- Twiggy
Besvar